Saturday, January 31, 2009

Addicted to Shows About Addicts.



I really like the show Intervention on A&E because it picks me up when I'm feeling low (at least I haven't screwed up my life as bad as the people on the show)... but I can't help but feel aghast at the lengths that Sober House has gone to create interesting television.

I encountered Sober House while channel surfing tonight. The show features recovering drug addicts and alcoholics living together.... and then going to a night club together. I don't know about you, but when I was deeply and thoroughly addicted to methamphetamine I NEVER went to the night club to score, so it was probably the safest place for me when I was recovering.

Funny line from the show:
"Did the cops find heroine on you?"
"Yeah. I was holding. I didn't know they were coming though. If I had known, I would have thrown it out."

If I had known the internet was going to take off like this, I would have totes invested in Google way back in the day. Kind of the same situation.

The show makes me feel genuinely bad for the pseudo-celebs featured on the show; I was so sure that Crazy Town was going places after their smash hit "Butterfly," but it turns out there isn't really much of a market for white guys semi-rapping about insects, or whatever that song was actually about. I think it was probably a lady. bug. ladybug. It was a pretty clever metaphor.

Btdubs, Steve-O isn't on the show, but he went to rehab and lived in a sober house, and this picture made me smile. This also makes me smile.

No comments: