Sunday, January 11, 2009

All My Posts Are About Remakes. Read This One.



I was just watching The Golden Globes - I still have no idea why I'm wasting my time watching this when I can just look up the results later, but I am - and Drew Barrymore / Jessica Lange presented an award as a mini-ad for their upcoming film, Grey Gardens. Now, first off I hope they were in character for their presentation because they both looked like sh**, especially Drew's hair... I digress. More importantly, when I heard "grey gardens" I remembered the documentary of the same title and thought: "no, no they wouldn't butcher the awesomeness of that movie and try to re-make it with Drew Barrymore of 50 First Dates and Fever Pitch." ..... But they did.

If you don't know what Grey Gardens (1975) is, you have to find out. I will tell you.

It is essentially a camera crew following around the aunt and first cousin of Jackie O (Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis). This phenomenal mother-daughter duo (both named Edie) live in a decaying Hamptons mansion, in the same room of a huge estate they share with raccoons, cats, and whatever other wild creatures seem to wander in. They have both been completely isolated from the world and become entirely delusional. During the filming, the daughter falls in love with one of the filmmakers and it's just delightfully hilarious and disturbing how far down the rabbit hole these ladies have crawled. The whole movie you're asking yourself: "wait, seriously? This is a documentary?!" But it is. And it is really worth watching.

Drew Barrymore, I don't particularly like you. Except for E.T. ..... and Never Been Kissed, but I don't normally tell people that second one.

No comments: